Wednesday 17 February 2010

New decade, new name


On the second of January 2010, something quite monumental happened. I reached a milestone in life; I got married. It's wonderful to be able to say that, but still slightly surreal! My husband and I had been planning the day for a year, and then on that date, I got dressed in a beautiful white dress, walked out in front of my friends and family and made some vows to the man I love. Simple and wonderful.

Our wedding was incredible. We BEAMED all day and were made to feel like kings. Friends and family travelled from all over to be there. A close friend and one of my lovely sisters-in-law read our favourite readings. We got through our vows without crying, (although it was close!) My other sister-in-law sang at our reception, and our friend played the guitar, (James Taylor track - Something In the Way she Moves). Even though it was January 2nd, the sun shone all day; it was one of those cold clear winter days. We had mulled wine, sausages and mash, and chocolate cake. The speeches were all brilliant - I even made one myself. We danced until 1am.

We went on honeymoon to the Maldives and truly relaxed, and had the chance to look at each other and say 'Wow... we're married!' We talked about the day, always grinning madly at the memories and laughing as the photos began to emerge on facebook. We came back tanned and happy, and excited for our new married life.

And now normal life goes on... except it's different. Now I am joined to the man who was my boyfriend. He is my husband and I am his wife. I have a new name. I have a new title. We both wear a ring on our left fourth finger. And I suppose it's now that our life begins together for real. We planned for the wedding day for so long, and it was as perfect as we'd hoped, but now this is it - this is our life. This is what it was all about. We're side by side forever; it's me and him and me and him all the way.

No comments: